Publicist Candi Cazau confirmed the death of comedy legend, Jerry Lewis at the age of 91. His publicist also confirmed that Jerry Lewis died peacefully at his home in Las Vegas, August 20th 2017.
It was proclaimed that the cause of his death was an end-stage cardiac disease and peripheral vascular disease.
Jerry Lewis, Comedy Icon
His first five minutes to fame happened shortly after World War II with Dean Martin crooning the stage while the audience was hilariously laughing on top of their lungs when Lewis hyperactively capered around the stage. Little did everyone know that it was the beginning of a rising star’s signature slapstick humor.
The comedian was also the genius behind many comedy classics such as ‘The Nutty Professor’ and ‘The Bellboy.’ More than that, Jerry Lewis’ legacy also included a whopping $2.5 billion raised benefiting people who have Muscular Dystrophy during every Labor Day telethon. It then became an annual summer ritual for decades until after 2011. Indeed, Lewis philanthropic journey was a life-changing one that cemented his image as a comedian with a heart.
Awards also followed Jerry Lewis and his reputation. His highest achievement for his comedy happened in France where he received the ‘Legion of Honor’ award in 1983.
Like any textbook controversy, Jerry Lewis and his genius was challenged by many controversies including his addiction to prescription drugs and how his comedic image was entirely different behind cameras and standing ovations. Nevertheless, the legend still continued his effort in making the people burst to tears because of laughter. He starred in films like ‘The Delicate Delinquent’ and ‘Rock-a-Bye Baby’ which also gave him a million-single sale for a track of the same name.
2000’s also proved to be one of those moments that he reinvented himself as an actor. He provided a guest voice on an episode of ‘The Simpsons’ and made a 2006 episode of ‘Law and Order.’
Indeed, this gem would be forever in American history and hearts of Americans.
Comedy Icon, Jerry Lewis
- Overcoming Loss with “Go Rest High on that Mountain” by Vince Gill
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Ryan Upchurch’s “Can I Get A Outlaw” Is In The Hot Seat Right Now. Here’s Why!
- Here Are Some of The Incredible Things You Can Do At Loretta Lynn’s Ranch
- The Incredible Story of How Yellowstone’s Ryan Bingham Got His Role
- ‘Grease’ is Under Fire, Critics Want It Taken Down From Screens. Here’s Why!
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?