In 1993, Doug Supernaw, a Texas-born country star strummed his fans’ heartstrings with his lone number one hit, “I Don’t Call Him Daddy.” Until this time, it is called the signature song for a “Long Tall Texan,” who still plays live around his home state. The song talks about how innocent children suffer when their parents split up. It’s from Doug’s album “Rio Grande,” which garnered a high rank on 1993’s best debut album.
“I Don’t Call Him Daddy,” an old-school country sentiment about broken families and youthful innocence, came from the creative writing of Reed Nielsen. The song was actually first heard on the 1987 Kenny Rogers album, “I Prefer the Moonlight.” Roger’s version lacked promotion. It did not make it to the top of the charts.
A Hurting Dad
The song has an unusual storyline. We’re used to hearing sentiments coming from a woman being left by her partner, but this time, the song tells of a father who laments about losing his son caused by his wife’s betrayal. The new man may seem capable of being a good step-dad who can afford to buy the boy’s needs, but nothing compares to the weekend bonding the father and son shared.
Doug’s voice accompanied by excellent instruments added to the level of sorrow in the song. It’s an expression of a father’s feeling of loneliness after saying goodbye to his son. The thought of walking the road alone hurt the man even more.
Those who grew in the nineties can relate to the scenario the song displays. If it’s not from your personal experience, it at least describes the early experiences of a neighbor or classmate with a loving yet usually absent parent.
Real father and son bonding
The music video features Doug Supernaw and real-life son, Philip. Both wearing a sports-themed t-shirt, suggesting that the younger Supernaw would later play for the Kansas City Chiefs. Interestingly, Philip is currently a tight end and special team player for the Tennessee Titans.
Doug Supernaw, I Don’t Call Him Daddy
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce