Merle Haggard is one of the best country musicians that we will ever know. It is not only because he is a great singer but he is also an excellent songwriter. He knows how to put words together and make a story that will affect the listeners. Haggard placed 38 No. 1 songs on the chart and all of the songs are phenomenal. He released 63 studio albums which entered the Billboard charts.
A Portrait of Merle Haggard Album
One of his best albums is A Portrait of Merle Haggard. The album has two singles that entered the Billboard country chart. “Workin’ Man Blues” and “Hungry Eyes” were two of the tracks in Merle’s album reaching the top of the Country chart. Today, we’ll look closer into his single “Hungry Eyes.”
“Hungry Eyes” or “Mama’s Hungry Eyes” is considered to be one of his most remarkable and popular songs. This was his sixth No. 1 song on the chart. Moreover, the song entered the Canadian charts at No. 2. The song was written by Merle however, it was not according to his life. Merle wrote the song and dedicated it to his mother. He dedicated the song to his mother who worked hard to raise him and his siblings.
The Song’s Content
In the song, the narrator tells the story of how he was raised by parents who only think about the welfare of their children. He watches his father provide for the family and his mother sacrificing all she can. Despite that, they live in poverty but the narrator’s mother still believes that everything will be fine. She never complains of anything but the narrator can see the pain and need of certain things in life in his mother’s eyes. However, she keeps it to herself and only wants to see her family happy.
Listen to Merle Haggard’s heartfelt song he wrote for his mother and for the people who lived in labor camps before.
hungry eyes, merle haggard
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait