Guy Penrod singing “He Hideth My Soul”
“I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand” (Ex. 33:22).
Did you feel the comfort that emanates from that verse in the Bible? It’s just a short verse but the sense of how much God cares for us is so immense. The enormous security it dispenses touched the blind but talented lyricist Fanny Crosby to write a song about it. The gospel song that most of us know today as “He Hideth My Soul” was what Crosby came up with. It was in 1890 when Crosby penned the song’s lyrics. William J. Kirkpatrick completed it into a song by providing its music.
Let’s watch Guy Penrod’s performance of the song below.
Inspiration Behind the Song’s Writing
While Crosby could not see with her natural eyes, she could see with her heart. But as it’s normal for someone with an impairment to feel insecure, Crosby did face daily insecurities in her life. Crosby used her God-given talent in writing hymns and most of them emphasize the security we have in God. She likened herself to David living in the wilderness. Sometimes, she felt alone and helpless. But during these moments, Crosby found great comfort from the book of Psalms. She then supplemented her Scripture readings with prayers.
However, when she wrote “He Hideth My Soul,” it was the book of Exodus that she’s reading. She found her inspiration in Moses’ story leading the Israelites. While in the wilderness, Moses asked God to show him His presence. Right away, God granted Moses’ request and even with assurance.
Folks, were you comforted by the song? We would be glad to hear your thoughts or experiences related to it. Also, please do not forget to hit the like button and share the inspiration with your friends and loved ones. For your utmost reading pleasure and entertainment, you may visit our website at https://www.countrythangdaily.com/ or like us on Facebook (@CountryGospelDaily) and follow us on Twitter @thecountrydaily.
Fanny Crosby, Guy Penrod, William Kirkpatrick
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance
- Remember When Marty Robbins Starred in Clint Eastwood’s Iconic Film