Elbert West and Roger Dillon were the great minds behind the lyrics of the song “Sticks and Stones”. The man who popularized it is American country music artist Tracy Lawrence. Released in November 1991, it was the title track and first single from his debut album Sticks and Stones. In January 1992, it became his first chart-topper on the Billboard country singles charts and on the Canadian RPM Country Tracks chart.
The song “Sticks and Stones” is a moderate up-tempo with electric guitar and fiddle backing. In it, the male narrator addresses a lover who has just broken up with him. Even though he is so heartbroken, he tells her that she can take all the possessions that she wants.
The record label, Atlantic Records released the “Sticks and Stones” album. After its release, it produced four more singles. These are “Today’s Lonely Fool”, “Runnin’ Behind”, and “Somebody Paints the Wall”. These tracks peaked at numbers 1, 3, 4, and 8, respectively, on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks charts between 1991 and 1993. Rumor has it that Lawrence’s success was due in part to an incident while he was trying to protect his girlfriend.
Recently, Lawrence re-recorded the song for a brand-new set, Good Ole Days, which is out now. On the album, the singer teams up with many of the hottest stars in the industry to perform his classics.
The Calm After the Storm
Before the album’s release, Lawrence walked his girlfriend to the door of her hotel room. Unknowingly, three men were waiting for them. They stole from them. Thinking that they could get some more, the outlaws tried to force his friend and Lawrence into the motel room. Lawrence resisted and got four gunshot wounds. This helped his friend escape. When he was shot, two needed immediate surgery. One of the bullets remains embedded in Lawrence’s hip. This unfortunate event happened on May 31, 1991.
- “Tennessee Whiskey” Dad Kris Jones Makes Daughter Proud, Fluid Cover Goes Viral
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- 10 Facts About Austin Brown of Home Free
- Randy Travis Divorce With Ex-Wife Elizabeth Hatcher Travis Tops Nastiest Divorce in Industry
- Here Are Gay Country Singers You Need To Be Listening To
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?