Imagine you have been in a war… The war just ended… When it is time for you to go home, you receive a letter. You opened the letter, and it started with “Dear John”. You read the letter. The letter says your girlfriend is breaking up with you. What would you feel? To add to the heartbreak, the reason why she wants to end the relationship is that she is going to marry your brother. That is the sad story of “A Dear John Letter” or “Dear John”.
“A Dear John Letter” or “Dear John” is a country music duet by Ferlin Husky and Jean Shepard. Because of its popularity, several artists considered it as a crossover country-pop hit. They followed it up with “Forgive Me John”, another crossover hit. Billy Barton, Fuzzy Owen, and Lewis Talley were the ones who have written the lyrics.
When the two recorded the country number 1 single in “A Dear John Letter”, Jean was still a minor and that she couldn’t legally travel through states without a guardian. Therefore, Jean’s parents allowed Ferlin Husky to be granted guardianship for their tours.
Shepard’s career has given away over 45 albums and 70 singles. Among these are “A Dear John Letter”, “Second Fiddle (To an Old Guitar)”, “Tips of My Fingers” and “Slipping Away”. She is also a regular in the Grand Ole Opry and maintains busy road tours.
Throughout Ferlin Husky’s singing career, he has sold more than 20 million records. His hits include “Gone”, “Wings of a Dove”, “Country Music Is Here To Stay”, and of course “A Dear John Letter”.
At the later age of their careers, Ferlin Husky and Jean Shepard will go on working together. From the video below, we can see the great connection between these two good friends when they appeared in Country Family Reunion.
- Where is Jason Aldean’s First Wife, Jessica Ussery Now?
- Crystal Gayle Sings About Love And Heartbreak in “Til I Gain Control Again”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Get to Know Hannah Dasher, An Uprising Country Rock Star
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend