“Devil In The Bottle” is a song that is about problems that we have which control us. Once you get used to doing something and it takes over your life like drinking or gambling, it’s difficult to let go of it. Some fall prey to these things, not because they are bad people, but they are people who are going through something and they need the Lord to save them.
Hank Williams Jr.’s Version
Hank Williams Jr. covered T.G. Sheppard’s song in 2003. Williams released the song as the last track on his album I’m One of You. His version of the song was not quite popular like that of Sheppard’s. Hank Williams Jr.’s “Devil In The Bottle” only entered No. 59 on the US Billboard Country Airplay and Hot Country charts.
The Original Version
T.G. Sheppard performed the original version of this song in 1974. Bobby David wrote the song for Sheppard’s self-titled album. Sheppard’s version reached the No. 1 position on the US Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. In addition, his song crossed over to the pop chart Billboard Hot 100 on No. 54 in 1975.
“Devil In The Bottle’s” Content
The song is about a man who recognizes that he is consumed by his vices. He drinks every day and comes home late. He is aware that his drinking problem affects his marriage and he knows that he could die because of it. The narrator used the word devil to describe his problem with drinking. It is good that he knows that he is being controlled by his drinking problem, he admits it. All he needs now is someone who could help him overcome his problem. The good thing is that his wife never left him despite the fact that she is tired of him. She managed to still take care of him.
If you know anyone like the narrator of the song, don’t hesitate to help them because they need it.
devil in the bottle, Hank Williams Jr.
- Sons of Willie Nelson Joined Him For An Incredible Rendition of “Move it on Over”
- Rip Wheeler and Beth Dutton Complete Relationship Timeline
- Get To Know Kelly Reilly, The Actress Behind Yellowstone’s Fearless Beth Dutton
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Tim McGraw & Faith Hill’s Daughter Audrey Shows Off Snippet From Recent Photoshoot
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Clint Black’s Daughter, Lily Made a Classy Opry Debut