“How Great Thou Art” has been one of the famous gospel songs. The hymn has been recorded for about thousands of times. The beautiful message of the song might have been one of the reasons people love this hymn so much.
The Inspiration Behind “How Great Thou Art”
The words to “How Great Thou Art” came to Carl Boberg when he experienced a storm. One day, Boberg was walking home, and he saw on the distance a storm was approaching. When the storm arrived, the wind was extremely strong, and the thunder roars loudly. It happened for a short period of time. After the storm, Boberg opened his window, and he saw the sea. He heard the sound of the light breeze and church bells ringing. And at that moment, Boberg was inspired to write the inspiring hymn “How Great Thou Art.”
Different Languages and Versions
This popular hymn has been recorded numerous times and has been translated into different languages around the world. Some of the languages that it was translated to were German, Russian, English, Spanish, Italian, and many more. Aside from being translated to another language, here are some notable versions from different artists of different genres.
- The Black Brothers Quartet
- Tennessee Ernie Ford
- Alan Jackson
- Dolly Parton
- Martina McBride
- Elvis Presley
- Connie Smith
- The Statler Brothers
- Chris Jasper
- Penatonix and Jennifer Hudson
Willie Nelson’s Version
Today we are going to take a look at Willie Nelson’s version of this song. Nelson is not only known for the country music he wrote and recorded. He is also known to release albums with gospel songs. Nelson’s version showcased his voice more as he wasn’t empowered by any loud instruments. Furthermore, it makes you focus more on the words and the meaning of the song. Nelson’s recording of “How Great Thou Art” was one of the singles from his same-titled album. Willie collaborated with his sister Bobbie Nelson to make this album.
gospel song, how great thou art, Willie Nelson
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Remember When Marty Robbins Starred in Clint Eastwood’s Iconic Film
- Meet Faith Hill’s Daughters: All Grown Up and Glowed Up