Considering that it reached No. 1 in the early 1990’s, bet most of us knew the driving point of Garth Brook’s Unanswered Prayer right? Co-written with Patrick Alger and Larry B. Bastian, Brooks brought to us a timeless message on how God answers prayers, (particularly seemingly petty but specific prayers). Refer to the following lines:
“That just because he doesn’t answer, doesn’t mean he don’t care,
Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.”
Similar to the maxim that God answers in “Yes,” “No,” and “Maybe,” Brooks, being the narrator in his song states that sometimes, an unfulfilled request to God just means that he knows better. God sees the bigger picture and had he granted Brook’s initial request, he would have missed meeting his present wife and would be living in full regret seeing that the first woman he loved turned out to be just a “dream girl” and no more.
If you were wondering if he was singing based on a real-life experience, the answer is yes. Everything on the description actually happened in the ‘80s, from his being lovesick of a girl he saw in high school to see her again years later. (No wonder he sang it with full emotions.)
On the liner notes in his 1994 song collection called “The Hits,” Brooks commented,
“Every time I sing this song it teaches me the same lesson. Happiness isn’t about getting what you want, it’s wanting what you’ve got.”
Extending the application further, the rest of us whose prayers did not materialize or are still on the process could use that statement of Garth Brooks as our take away from the song. Fickle humans that we are, it won’t hurt if we admit that oftentimes, we don’t really know what we need in life. We’re always shortsighted and fixated on our wants. Fortunately, God, being a good Father, gives us what is best for us even in the form of “unanswered prayers.”
- Jenny Gill is Hoping to Pave Her Own Musical Path – Meet Her Today
- Yoakam Joins Stapleton on Stage for “Seven Spanish Angels”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- One Good Deed: Country Music Star Left $1,000 Tip to Waitress Working Double with Daughter
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- The Noah’s Ark in Kentucky Is Drawing Millions of Visitors. Here’s Why!
- Top 100 Country Songs Chart 2021