Considering that it reached No. 1 in the early 1990’s, bet most of us knew the driving point of Garth Brook’s Unanswered Prayer right? Co-written with Patrick Alger and Larry B. Bastian, Brooks brought to us a timeless message on how God answers prayers, (particularly seemingly petty but specific prayers). Refer to the following lines:
“That just because he doesn’t answer, doesn’t mean he don’t care,
Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers.”
Similar to the maxim that God answers in “Yes,” “No,” and “Maybe,” Brooks, being the narrator in his song states that sometimes, an unfulfilled request to God just means that he knows better. God sees the bigger picture and had he granted Brook’s initial request, he would have missed meeting his present wife and would be living in full regret seeing that the first woman he loved turned out to be just a “dream girl” and no more.
If you were wondering if he was singing based on a real-life experience, the answer is yes. Everything on the description actually happened in the ‘80s, from his being lovesick of a girl he saw in high school to see her again years later. (No wonder he sang it with full emotions.)
On the liner notes in his 1994 song collection called “The Hits,” Brooks commented,
“Every time I sing this song it teaches me the same lesson. Happiness isn’t about getting what you want, it’s wanting what you’ve got.”
Extending the application further, the rest of us whose prayers did not materialize or are still on the process could use that statement of Garth Brooks as our take away from the song. Fickle humans that we are, it won’t hurt if we admit that oftentimes, we don’t really know what we need in life. We’re always shortsighted and fixated on our wants. Fortunately, God, being a good Father, gives us what is best for us even in the form of “unanswered prayers.”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Let’s Go Down the River to Pray with Alison Krauss
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Let’s Take a Look Back to Kenny Chesney’s Intriguing Dating Life
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Look! Alan Jackson’s Three Daughters are Now All Grown Up
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage