Glen Campbell, also known as the Rhinestone Cowboy, has produced some of country music’s greatest songs. A few of his notable hit songs are “Southern Nights,” “Gentle on my mind,” and “Galveston.”
The singer passed away in 2017 due to the health risks that his Alzheimer’s caused him. He may be gone now but the legacy that he left will always be remembered by the country music industry.
Glen Campbell as an Artist
Glen’s passion for music came from his family. He started playing the guitar at an early age and he joined his uncle’s band. He made his way to Los Angeles and played guitars and bass on gigs of Frank Sinatra and other well-known musicians. He is a cross-over artist with tracks both on the country and pop charts.
At the peak of his career, Glen Campbell made sure that he can do more than singing. He hosted his own show called The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour which lasted for more than 3 years. One writer from his show shared this about the singer:
“We all just immediately admired his talent. He was completely game, completely fun, and had kind of a down-home sense of humor. It was an incredible treat for us, young writers, to be introduced to talent at that level at such a young age.”
Glen Campbell Through the Years
Fun fact, Campbell also joined the famous Beach Boys back in 1964. Although it was a short stint in his music career, it helped him reach more audience that he even become a pop star. The singer has also tried acting and played a Texas Ranger La Boeuf in the 1969 film True Grit. He was able to act with the legendary John Wayne in the movie and this earned him a Golden Globe nomination.
Campbell has had top 1 hits throughout his career and was finally acknowledged by the country music hall of fame in 2005. Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in his later years and his health deteriorated.
Listen to one of his songs here:
For your daily dose of country music stories, check our official Facebook page.
- Sons of Willie Nelson Joined Him For An Incredible Rendition of “Move it on Over”
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Trigger, Willie Nelson’s Guitar Is Just As Legendary As He Is
- Jonathan Jackson’s “Unchained Melody” Soulful Rendition Will Send Chills Down Your Spine
- The Yellowstone Soundtrack: The Complete List
- Gilley’s: Let’s Look Back To The Largest Honky Tonk in the World