Released on June 20, 1995, One is the 9th and final studio album of country music artists and then couple George Jones and Tammy Wynette. Record producers Tony Brown and Norro Wilson produced this album for MCA Nashville Records label. To note, One was Jones and Wynette’s first album together since Together Again in 1980. In fact, it would also turn out to be their last album together. Moreover, the album was also Wynette’s last studio album to have recorded before her death three years later.
In total, the album contains 10 tracks, and none of these were penned by Jones or Wynette. “One,” the opening song and the title track, was more of a pop-country genre. It was written by Ed Bruce, Judith Bruce, and Ron Peterson.
Here is the complete list of tracks included in the album:
- “One” (Written by Ed Bruce, Judith Bruce, Ron Peterson)
- “It’s an Old Love Thing” (Written By Kenny Cornell)
- “Whatever Happened to Us” (Written by Donny Kees, Don Sampson)
- “Will You Travel Down This Road with Me” (Written by Kieran Kane, Jamie O’Hara)
- “(She’s Just) An Old Love Turned Memory” (Written by John Schweers)
- “If God Met You” (Written by Freida Wells)
- “Just Look What We’ve Started Again” (Written by Dennis Knutson, A.L. “Doodle” Owens)
- “Solid as a Rock” (Written by Max D. Barnes, Merle Haggard)
- “They’re Playing Our Song” (Written by Toni Dae, Barry Jackson, Buck Moore)
- “All I Have to Offer You Is Me” (Written by Dallas Frazier, Owens)
One, however, did not chart significantly as the other albums of Jones and Wynette together. It peaked at no. 12 on the Billboard Top Country Albums while it reached no. 117 on the Billboard 200. In Canada, it clinched the 23rd spot on the RPM Country Albums.
Do you have a copy of the album? What do you think of these songs? Share us your thoughts in the comment section.
Jones & Wynette Working as “One”
In 1980, Jones and Wynette released Together Again album, which many thought would be their last. The extremely unlikely reunion of the former couple was then perceived. However, 15 years later, in 1995, many of their fans were enlightened as the idea soon materialized.
Following their divorce, fans were very hopeful that one time, they would be performing together again. However, Jones later revealed in his 1996 autobiography that he actually did not like to be working with Wynette again. He said:
“That wasn’t my idea. In fact, I hated to work with her. It brought back too many unpleasant memories, and when some fans saw us together, they got it in their heads that we were going to get back together romantically.”
Prior to this, Wynette’s autobiography, Stand By Your Man published in 1979, painted an ugly picture of Jones. Also, there was a made-for-TV movie that was released about Wynette and Jones’ failed relationship. These, however, did not conciliate the said relationship. In those years, Jones’ career went rock bottom and he accepted the responsibility for the failure of the marriage. But, he ardently denied Wynette’s allegations that he beat her and fired a shotgun at her.
By the 1990s, both had been remarried with Wynette marrying songwriter George Ricky and Jones to Nancy Sepulveda. While the reunion of the two country legends came as a surprise to many, there were signs that the longtime feud between the two had faded.
In fact, prior to releasing their album One in 1995, the had performed together with Randy Travis at the CMA Awards in 1991. Three years later, Wynette again joined Jones for his duet album The Bradley Barn Sessions. Even though their collaboration on One did not result in a significant chart performance, the reunion was suddenly an attractive, viable option.
Watch George Jones and Tammy Wynette sing the title track of their 1995 album, “One:”
Any thoughts? Tell us what you think. Don’t forget to like and share this post. Share the country spirit, folks! For more country reads, visit our website. Follow us also on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
George Jones, one, Tammy Wynette
- Jenny Gill is Hoping to Pave Her Own Musical Path – Meet Her Today
- Yoakam Joins Stapleton on Stage for “Seven Spanish Angels”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- One Good Deed: Country Music Star Left $1,000 Tip to Waitress Working Double with Daughter
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- The Noah’s Ark in Kentucky Is Drawing Millions of Visitors. Here’s Why!
- Top 100 Country Songs Chart 2021