Have you been to a place so memorable you can’t get it out of your mind? A place where you have left a piece of yourself, and you always want to go back to? When we visit a place that caught our attention, we often want to go back there because, to you, that place becomes home. Not only when you visit a place, sometimes a place where we grew up is where you want to go back and visit. George Hamilton IV’s “Abilene” is a song that speaks about a man wanting to go back to a town he once saw.
“Abilene” George Hamilton IV’s First No.1 Song
George Hamilton IV had his first No. 1 song, “Abilene,” on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart in 1963. It took him eight years before he ever reached the No. 1 spot on the Billboard chart. In addition, “Abilene” is a song inspired by the movies Abilene Town. Bob Gibson and John Loudermilk wrote the song.
“Abilene” was covered by other artists such as Waylon Jennings in 1964 and John Loudermilk in 1971.
About the Song
There are two places that are named Abilene, one in Texas and the other Kansas. However, in the song, the narrator is talking about Abilene, Kansas. A place where he wants to go back to and live there. Furthermore, he describes that it is a beautiful place because of the people. The people’s kindness and the place not being crowded were some of the reasons why he wants to go back there.
A Little Bit About the Artist
George Hamilton IV was born on July 19, 1937. He began recording pop songs and later shifted to country music. His first song to enter the country chart was “Before This Day Ends” in 1960. Hamilton charted 39 singles on the Hot Country Chart. His only No. 1 song is “Abilene.”
Hamilton died on September 17, 2014, at the age of 77 in Nashville, Tennessee. He died of a Heart Attack.
George Hamilton IV
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Marie Osmond’s Children: Meet The Eight Of Them Here!
- Chris Stapleton Kids: Get To Know The Country Powerhouse’s Five Children
- Freddy Fender’s “Before The Next Teardrop Falls” Is Romantic Enough To Wreck You
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Trace Adkins And Travis Tritt In An Irresistible Performance of “Jailhouse Rock”
- Garth Brooks’ Daughters All Turned Up To Be These Gorgeous. Meet Them Here!