Garth Brooks made his first appearance on the Grand Ole Opry on June 24, 1989. Back then, he was twenty-seven years old and he had epic entrance. It was also just two months after his first album was released.
Brooks definitely made a great impression at the Opry. On October 6, 1990, he was formally instated into the revered institution by the music legend himself, Johnny Russell.
“To be recognized as a member of the Grand Ole Opry is among the class of honors that will never be topped, no matter how long or how far my career goes.”[advert id=”193667″]
However, Brooks has not made an appearance on Opry’s stage since 2001. That is because he focused on raising his three daughters. But last 2008, he was there to induct Carrie Underwood, who happens to be an Oklahoma native.
“It is a marriage, and it is a marriage that you try to uphold the best that you can,” Brooks tells in an interview of being an Opry member. “[Underwood is] from Oklahoma, which, to me, is the land of common sense. I think she gets it. The coolest thing she said was, ‘I know I didn’t come here by the conventional road.’ That was very cool, so I think she’ll love it and respect it enough.”
During Underwood’s induction, Brooks said, “I can’t imagine what you’re feeling right now. I cried like a baby the whole time.”
In 2014, Brooks returned to touring last 2014. He even made a surprise appearance at the Opry with Trisha Yearwood, his wife, in June 2015. This is also where he dropped hints of spending more time at the Grand Ole Opry in the future.
“I want to do more stuff everywhere,” he says. “I want to do more stuff here. I’d love to play the Opry more. I know I owe them, and if they want it, they should have it.”
debut|Garth Brooks|Grand Ole Opry|throwback
- Charley Pride’s Son Honors Dad with “Kiss An Angel Good Mornin'”
- First Time In History: Garth Brooks’ Daughter Allie Colleen Achieves Her First Top-40 Country Hit
- ICYMI: The CMA Fiasco Surrounding Alan Jackson’s Walk-out to Beyonce’s Performance
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage
- Meet Brad Paisley’s Kids He Is Raising To Be Kind and Humble