On October 14, 2006, the country and rock and roll industry lost an American Tejano in Freddy Fender after the artist died at the age of 69 because of lung cancer at his home in Corpus Christi, Texas. Not only known as a solo artist, Freddy Fender was also a part of groups such as Los Super Seven and the Texas Tornados. His best song that one could identify him clearly is his 1975 hits ‘Before the Next Teardrop Falls’ and ‘Wasted Days and Wasted Nights.’
Freddy Fender, Career, Death
Freddy Fender was part of US Marine Corps and was later wrongfully discharged because of alcoholism. He then returned to Texas and performed in clubs and bars with Latino audiences as Bebop Kid in 1957. Throughout he also recorded a Spanish version of Hank Williams’ ‘Cold, Cold Heart.’ In 1958, after much exposure to rockabilly music, he legally changed his name from Baldemar Huerta to Freddy Fender.
In 1974, Fender recorded ‘Before the Next Teardrop Falls’ which proved to become a monster hit for the singer as it also dominated the pop charts. He then followed it by strings of other number ones including ‘Secret Love,’ ‘You’ll Lose a Good Thing’ and a remake of ‘Wasted, Wasted Nights’.’ It is also worth noting that while many people claim the cross-over genre began in the millennial era, Fender was already doing it in the 79s as some other artists. Fender is also popular in making sure that his songs would include some Spanish lines.
In 2001 of March 13th, Fender was mistakenly reported dead by Billboard magazine which the singer just laughed off. However, the singer underwent a series of transplants for his kidney and lungs but continuously suffered because of chemotherapy.
In an interview with Associated Press, Freddy Fender has shown an interest in becoming the first Mexican American to be inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame.
- Sons of Willie Nelson Joined Him For An Incredible Rendition of “Move it on Over”
- Rip Wheeler and Beth Dutton Complete Relationship Timeline
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Tim McGraw & Faith Hill’s Daughter Audrey Shows Off Snippet From Recent Photoshoot
- Get To Know Kelly Reilly, The Actress Behind Yellowstone’s Fearless Beth Dutton
- The Yellowstone Soundtrack: The Complete List