The song of Freddy Fender, “Wasted Days and Wasted Nights” is considered by many to belong to the swamp pop idiom of south Louisiana and Southeast Texas that had such a major musical impact on Freddy Fender.
The song is all about a broken-hearted man moving on with his life after being cheated by the one he loved. A blues ballad, Fender wrote the song for Duncan Records in 1959, during the early stage of his career. The song showed his new style when he was in the process of perfecting his mesh of rockabilly and Tejano. Unfortunately, he was arrested for possession of marijuana and convicted in May 1960.
In 1975, the song “Before the Next Teardrop Falls” became a major hit and revived Fender’s career. It was with the help of Huey P. Meaux that he was able to re-record “Wasted Days and Wasted Nights.” The song’s basic track was engineered by Mickey Moody at Ben Jack’s Recording Studio in Ft. Smith, Arkansas. The session players were Bruce Ewen(piano), Bill Hamm(guitar), David Hungate(bass), and Bob Ketchum(drums). During this time, the song became a major pop and country hit, topping the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart on August 1975. On other charts, “Wasted Days and Wasted Nights” went number eight in Billboard Hot 100, and number nine on Billboard’s Easy Listening chart. The song was certified gold for the sales of 1 million units by the Recording Industry of America.
“Wasted Days and Wasted Nights was a major hit I New Zealand and it spent 12 weeks in the No.1 spot in the New Zealand singles chart in 1975, which made it the longest running No.1 single at the time and the third longest running number-one single of all time.
Another classic by Freddy Fender. Have you ever experienced what was said by the song? Let us know by leaving a comment below.
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Top 100 Country Songs Chart 2021
- Here Are The Top 40 Country Songs For September 2021
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Brandi Carlile and wife Catherine Shepherd’s Sweet Love Story
- Walker Hayes and wife Laney Beville Hayes: A Love That Stayed
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage