The blood of Jesus is very symbolic. It was the means used to cleanse the sins of the entire human race. If it wasn’t shed on the cross, all humans wouldn’t be enjoying the gifts of life at present. The Holy Scripture made us, Christians, aware of the saving power of Jesus’ blood. We learn more about it through sermons. During Holy Communion, we commemorate its significance in our lives. Moreover, we sing various hymns declaring the saving power of Jesus’ blood. To cite a few examples of a hymn with this theme, we have “Are You Washed in the Blood?” “At the Cross,” and “Power in the Blood.”
“There is a Fountain Filled with Blood”
Here is another hymn that tackles the blood of Christ. It’s called “There is a Fountain Filled with Blood” which was believed to have originated in the 17th century. The hymn was based on the book of Zechariah 13:1 which says,
“On that day a fountain shall be opened for the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity.”
From the above passage, it can be clearly understood that the hymn is a meditation on the saving power of Christ’s blood. A hymn writer and secular poet named William Cowper wrote the tune sometime in the 1770s. During his lifetime, Cowper suffered from depression several times. On one of his major bouts with despair, Cowper penned the song “There is a Fountain Filled with Blood.” The first published copy of the tune appeared in Conyers’ Collection of Psalms and Hymns in 1772. Seven years later, The Olney Hymns included the song on its list after Cowper and John Newton republished it. John Newton was the author of the famous classic hymn “Amazing Grace.” The two met in 1767 after Cowper moved to Olney.
Below is a soulful rendition of “There is a Fountain Filled with Blood.” Open your heart to Jesus as you sing with the group.
Blood of Jesus, There is a Fountain Filled with Blood, William Cowper
- Sons of Willie Nelson Joined Him For An Incredible Rendition of “Move it on Over”
- Rip Wheeler and Beth Dutton Complete Relationship Timeline
- Get To Know Kelly Reilly, The Actress Behind Yellowstone’s Fearless Beth Dutton
- Tim McGraw & Faith Hill’s Daughter Audrey Shows Off Snippet From Recent Photoshoot
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Clint Black’s Daughter, Lily Made a Classy Opry Debut