Merle Haggard and ex-wife Bonnie Campbell’s song “Today I Started Loving You Again” was written in 1968. It was acknowledged by Mr. Haggard that this piece was about an unexpected explosion of extraordinary feelings for his beloved, Bonnie, while they were on tour.
“It’s amazing to me the things that come out of Merle’s mouth when he’s writing,” Miss Owens said in Nicholas Dawidoff’s Country of Country: A Journey to the Roots of American Music. “I never heard him talk like that. He’d say later, ‘Bonnie, I don’t ever remember saying those words. It’s like God put ’em through me. I knew he said them — I was there. I’d write them down.”http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/merle-haggard-30-essential-songs-20160406/today-i-started-loving-you-again-1968-20160406
These burst of feelings may have been seen in several aspects of their lives because when they got divorced, the two never fell out of love even after they had married other people. Also, Bonnie went on as the backed up vocal for their band, The Strangers, until she died in 2006.
This song was first recorded as a reverse to his chart-topping hit “The Legend of Bonnie and Clyde“. However, this love ballad was not able to make it to the Country Top Ten. Strange as it seemed, this country hit wounded up plainly one of Haggard’s most popularized tunes that were a staple of great Bluegrass Music Radio Stations’ playlists.
Al Martino, Martina McBride, Charlie McCoy, David Peters, Kenny Rogers and the First Edition, Bettye Swann, Connie Smith, Sammi Smith, Bobby Bland, Emmylou Harris and Dolly Parton were among the many musicians who recorded it. More recently, Jeff Carson and Merle Haggard had another recording of this track for Carson’s 1997 album Butterfly Kisses.
Tributes were also done by Willie Nelson—his good friend—with Sheryl Crow, Ben Haggard—his son, and Chris Stapleton. I hope you enjoyed both videos and tell us what you think.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Patsy Cline and Willie Nelson’s Duet of “Just A Closer Walk with Thee”
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012