The Song’s Content
It is said that this is one of the most beautiful songs written about unrequited love. The song “You Don’t Know Me” is a story of a man in love with someone, probably his friend who, however, don’t realize it. She just acts like they are just friends and she is also in love with another man. This song is a good example of unrequited love, a love that is only experienced by a single person and is never reciprocated. We have all experienced this kind of love once in our life, therefore, we know how painful it is on the part of the man in the song.
“You Don’t Know Me” By Eddy Arnold
Do you know how Eddy Arnold got to record this song? Before Cindy Walker was able to write the song, she was approached by Arnold and he told her of the title of the song “You Don’t Know Me.” In addition, he gave her some notes and ideas about the song. Walker thought about it and finally wrote the song in 1955. Eddy Arnold recorded the song and released it in 1956. His version took a while before it entered the chart.
Jerry Vale’s Version
Jerry Vale covered Arnold’s song in the same year and his version made it to the chart. “You Don’t Know Me” by Vale reached at No. 14 on the Billboard Pop chart. After Vale’s version, Arnold’s version finally appeared on the Billboard Country chart at No. 10.
Other Cover Versions
Other artists also covered Arnold’s song, these artists were Ray Charles in 1962, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, and even Willie Nelson. Ray Charles’ recording of this song made it to three different charts in the US. It peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100. Moreover, it made its way to the Billboard Adult Contemporary chart at No.1 and No. 5 on the Hot R&B chart of the Billboard.
Cindy Walker, Eddy Arnold, you don't know me
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Faith Hill’s Daughters: All Grown Up and Glowed Up
- Remember When Marty Robbins Starred in Clint Eastwood’s Iconic Film