In his second studio album entitled Learn to Live, one of the songs of Darius Rucker is from a man’s point of view about divorce, a process that is often tedious and painful no matter how it is as quick as signing divorce papers as portrayed in television. One of his songs that somehow tells a single narrative from this country album is entitled ‘All I Want’ which is a straight perspective about a guy who is telling a girl that all he wants is to be left alone even if it means having all his properties taken. Well, it seems that prenup was not an issue on this one.
All I Want, Darius Rucker
Darius Rucker wrote ‘All I Want’ with his American record producer, Frank Rogers. In his website’s label, Rucker shared a funny story on how the story was conceived:
“After we wrote this, I said to Frank Rogers, ‘Do you love your wife?’ and he said, ‘Yeah!’ He said, ‘Do you love your wife?’ and I said ‘Yeah!’ You would think it was written by two guys who weren’t too happy with their wives. When we first started dating, my wife thought every song I wrote was about us. When she heard this, I thought she was going to say, ‘You want a divorce?’ which is the last thing I want. By the time we got to ‘Leave Me Alone’ in the chorus, she was on the floor laughing. Often you can write a song and only realize a few days later what it’s about. There were a lot of people around me going through divorce – that’s what triggered the idea.”
This song is not a stand out compared to the others such as ‘Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It’ and ‘It Won’t Be Like This for Long’ but somehow having this kind of storytelling songs deserves a spotlight as we do not hear a man’s opinion about divorce too often.
Listen to the song below:
darius rucker, Frank Rogers, songwriters
- You Should Hear This 93-Year-Old Woman Singing “One Day at a Time”
- Flashback To Dolly Parton’s Moving Duet With Young Actress Alyvia Lind, Her Mini-Me
- 10 Facts About Austin Brown of Home Free
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Kenny Rogers’ Children: Meet the Late Country Legend’s 5 Kids
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?