In an episode of the 1969 TV show, Night Gallery, titled, “The Tune In Dan’s Cafe”, one of country singer Jerry Wallace’s song was used. The song was If You Leave Me Tonight I’ll Cry. It wasn’t long since it was featured in the said show that the song gained major attention from viewers and listeners worldwide.
It rose to the number one spot of both the Top 40 pop/rock chart as well as the country music chart.
Jerry Wallace, a United States Navy veteran from World War II, who also happens to be the musical genius behind the hit song, had in fact been making waves as a country and pop singer since 1951. Throughout his entire career, he had nine of his songs dominate the Billboard Hot 100, including his famous pop song, Primrose Lane. Not long after, the song was used as The Smith Family TV show’s main theme song. Then, following his country music chart debut in 1965, he was able to enter his songs into the chart for over 35 times, and four times on the chart’s top ten hottest hits.
Among the other warmly received songs of Wallace are Shutters and Boards, How The Time Flies, Otoko no Sekai (The World of the Man/The Lovers of the World), and In The Misty Moonlight. Otoko No Sekai was Wallace’s biggest selling single exclusively released in Japan.
According to critics, around half of all the songs released by the singer falls into a category that highlights a particular musical style called, rockabilly. Due to the successive hits and amazing reviews that Wallace gained from listeners and critics, the Country Music Association named him Male Vocalist of the Year in 1972. Meanwhile, his song, Get To You was nominated for Single of the Year in the same year.
Unfortunately, he suffered from congestive heart failure and met his demise on May 5, 2008, while he was in Corona, California. His remains were buried in Riverside California, at the Riverside National Cemetery.
Now, 9 years after his death, his music still lives on in the hearts and minds of all his fans.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?