In 1985, George Jones released his 134th chart single, ‘Who’s Gonna Fill Their Shoes?’ The iconic single raised the more interesting question today than ever: can newcomers of today stand as tall as Country Music’s early giants?
While the song may have an unfortunate connotation, let’s focus on the aspect that emphasizes the irreplaceability of those country legends mentioned in the song. Written by Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame members Max D. Barnes and Troy Seals, the song honors some of country music’s early giants. In particular, it pays homage to their influences that help keep traditional country music alive.
Who Were Present in This Jones’ 1985 Hit
Basically, there are more than ten artists mentioned in the song through their aliases. Here is a list of those country music greats whom Jones honored in his tune.
Waylon Jennings (Outlaw that walks through Jessi’s dreams, Waylon was married to Jessi Colter)
Willie Nelson (Red Headed Stranger)
Johnny Cash (Man In Black and Folsom Prison Blues)
Merle Haggard (Okie From Muskogee)
Conway Twitty (Hello Darlin’)
The cast of the Grand Ole Opry (Who’s Gonna Play The Opry?)
Roy Acuff (Wabash Cannonball)
Carl Perkins (Blue Suede Shoes and it’s lyrics ‘Go Cat Go’ )
Jerry Lee Lewis
Hank Williams, Sr. and his self-penned gospel hit ‘I Saw The Light’ (Luke The Drifter, A name Hank used to record other songs)
Hank Williams, Sr.
Like Jones, each of these country stars recorded at least one remarkable hit. Though almost all of them have passed away, their music continues to thrive in our hearts as we still love listening to them.
Folks, did you enjoy this piece? We would be glad to hear your thoughts or experiences related to the song. Likewise, please do not forget to hit the like button and share the fun with other fans of country music. Here on Country Thang Daily, we strive to bring you a daily dose of cutting-edge entertainment through country music and information.
Who's Gonna Fill Their Shoes
- ‘Grease’ is Under Fire, Critics Want It Taken Down From Screens. Here’s Why!
- Inside the Grammy Award Winner’s Life: Meet Kris Kristofferson’s Children
- Throwback To George Jones’ “He Stopped Loving Her Today” Final Performance
- Beautifully Blended: Meet All 7 of Kevin Costner’s Kids
- Ryan Upchurch Responds to Luke Combs’ Apology and Calls Him ‘F—ing Sissy’
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Here Are Some of The Incredible Things You Can Do At Loretta Lynn’s Ranch