What is the best way to counter discontentment and self-entitlement? Start counting your blessings! Simple as that! When we do, we stop coveting things we do not have or think we need. Like that old hymn, let us name them one by one. Soon, we will see a shift in our attitude. We start appreciating the things we were given.
So here is Martha Carson is reminding us again of this worthwhile practice. Listen to her sing as she walks us through a simple process of staying grateful. Being attentive on the first part of the song is highly recommended. Enjoy!
“Counting My Blessings” by Martha Carson
ABOUT MARTHA CARSON
Born Irene Amburgey of the rural Neon, Kentucky. She drew inspiration from her parent’s gospel playing. She and her two sisters joined Kentucky’s Renfro Valley Barn Dance in 1936. They were known as the Coon Creek Girls. Come 1939, they moved to Atlanta’s WSB Barn Dance and were dubbed as the Hoot Owl Holler Girls. In the same year, she tied the knot with WSB gospel singer and mandolinist James Roberts. The couple then became gospel duets. Too bad, their union was short lived by a nasty affair resulting in divorce.
From sisters’ act to duets with her ex-husband, Martha now finds herself doing solo. In 1951, she debuted with her own song, “Satisfied”. Through the years, it has become a gospel standard. The next year, she joined the Grand Ole Opry. From there, she made a mark with her up-tempo gospel singing. Her style even impressed Elvis Presley who was also a fan of her records. The same spirited singing also influenced Connie Smith and Brenda Lee. She continued performing until the late 70’s.
More than a performer, Martha had also written songs for other artists. That includes Faron Young, Mac Wiseman, and Clyde McPhatter.
Some of her memorable songs were “Satisfied,” “Walk and Talk with my Lord,” “Dip Your Fingers in Some Water,” “Singin’ on the Other Side,” and Old Blind Barnabus.”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Meet Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Kids Inside Their Blended Family