Besides spotlighting bygone and current country stars, we tirelessly advocate for the recognition of many talented composers. Some were even performers themselves and have found success in both professions.
Today, we could not understate how much we revere Cindy Walker. Despite living an extremely private life in the latter years of her career, her crafts were well known by many music professionals. In fact, 400 of her estimated 500 recorded songs made it to the charts.
Her peer, Harlan Howard was right with the statement that Cindy Walker was “the greatest living songwriter of country music.” Since the 1940s, a lot of rising and professional singers turn to her for songs. With her quaint taste for good music and skillful customization of songs to their interpreters, she had helped many stars shine in their career.
Few to be mentioned here were Bob Wills to whom she wrote 50 songs, Bill Crosby for the Lone Star Trail, Ernest Tubb for Warm Red Wine, Hank Snow for his 1952 hit The Gold Rush is Over, Gene Autry’s Blue Canadian Rockies, Eddy Arnold for You Don’t Know Me, and several songs for Jim Reeves including Distant Drums. She had also written songs (being the versatile songwriter that she is) for pop stars Roy Orbison with Dream Baby and Dean Martins with In the Misty Moonlight.
With that long list of accomplishments, she became a member of the Country Music Hall of fame in 1997 and honored in the Texas Heritage Songwriters Hall of Fame in March 2011.
Walker flourished as a singer in the early 1940’s, too. In 1944, she recorded When My Blue Moon Turns to Gold Again which became a hit and adapted by other artists over the years. Listen to her singing voice below.[like_button]
After more than a decade long of being in the limelight, she reverted to her home in Texas in 1954. She lived there with her widowed mom writing songs until her death in 2006.
In March 2006, the iconic Country singer and songwriter, Willie Nelson released a tribute album called YouDon’t Know Me: The Songs of Cindy Walker which featured 13 of her compositions.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More