Composers Debbie Hupp and Kent Robbins wrote the lyrics of the song “Straight Tequila Night”. John Anderson, an American country music singer, made a recording of the tune. Released in December 1991, it was the second single from the album of Anderson, Seminole Wind.
In the year 1991, John was kind of in a ‘creative drought’ as it had been eight years since his last chart-topper. The track that made gave him a breakthrough was “Black Sheep”. It reigned the charts in 1983.
With the release of “Straight Tequila Night” in 1991, the great change came. In March 1992, the tune peaked the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart. Viola! John Anderson was back!
Over the next couple of years, John had a series of Top 5 hits. At number 4, there was “I Wish I Could Have Been There”. The ones for the third spot were: “When It Comes to You”, “Bend It Until It Breaks”, and “I’ve Got It Made”. Occupying the number 2 was “Seminole Wind”. Last but not the least, his other hit at the top was “Money in the Bank”.
The Song’s Narrative
The song is a mid-tempo number. In the song, we can hear the narrator giving pieces of advice to a man in a tavern. This man was interested in a female customer who frequented there. The narrator being his advisor told him not to speak with the woman when she is consuming straight tequila. If he does, it will make her think of her ex-lover with whom she had recently ended a relationship. In addition, she is otherwise friendly particularly when she is drinking any other alcoholic beverage.
Later, a music video of the song was filmed. This was directed by Steve Boyle. It has aired on CMT, TNN and Great American Country. Moreover, on CMT Pure Country, the music video of “Straight Tequila Night” has also been seen.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Let’s Go Down the River to Pray with Alison Krauss
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- Where are the Mandrell Sisters Now after Four Decades?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Let’s Take a Look Back to Kenny Chesney’s Intriguing Dating Life
- Remember When Brad Paisley’s “Accidental Racist” Raised Some Eyebrows?