About the Song
A country song that hit in the early ’70s, “Is Anybody Goin’ to San Antone” was first recorded by American country music star Charley Pride. American songwriters Glenn Martin and Dave Kirby crafted the song and presented it to Pride for recording. Officially released in February 1970, it is the first single from his album, Charley Pride’s 10th album. In addition, American singer-songwriter and record-producer Jack Clement produced the song for RCA records.
“Is Anybody Goin’ to San Antone”, Charley Pride’s No. 1 Hit
Charley Pride has produced several no. 1 hits in his entire career. To be specific,”Is Anybody Goin’ to San Antone“, was his third no. 1 in a row on the country charts. Moreover, the song stayed at the no. 1 spot for two weeks and spent a total of 16 weeks on the country music chart.
“Is Anybody Goin’ to San Antone” was definitely a chart-topper in the ’70s. To note, it clinched in the no. 1 spot on the Billboard Hot Country Songs. However, it did not sell well on the pop market as it only placed at no. 70 on the Billboard Hot 100. Nonetheless, Canadian country music fans received the song very well. In fact, “Is Anybody Goin’ to San Antone” coveted the top spot on Canadian RPM Country Tracks in the same year.
In one of his interviews, Pride revealed that his manager, Jack D. Johnson, received a demo tape of the song. He listened to it and then re-wrote the song, altering and revising some of the chords, lyrics, and arrangement to better fit the sound of Charley Pride, his client. Later, Pride recorded the revised song and made it his third number-one single. However, with all the work he has done, Johnson did not take the songwriter’s credit. He said that working for the success of his client is much more important than taking the credit.
LISTEN: Charley Pride sings his 1970 hit, “Is Anybody Goin’ to San Antone?”.
Charley Pride, Is Anybody Goin' to San Antone?
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Let’s Take a Look Back to Kenny Chesney’s Intriguing Dating Life
- Chris Stapleton Kids: Get To Know The Country Powerhouse’s Five Children
- Look! Alan Jackson’s Three Daughters are Now All Grown Up
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend
- The Reba McEntire and Narvel Blackstock Split: Tragic Ending After 26 Years of Marriage