When a woman breaks up with his man and later on feels the regret, Cam’s “Burning House” is the best song she can ever sing to express her pang of guilt. A feeling of remorse can naturally be sensed while listening to the song because it is inspired by a real-life experience of the artist herself. It started with a dream of attempting to rescue her ex-boyfriend from a “Burning House.”
After that dream, Cam recounted the details to Tyler Johnson via Skype, and with Jeff Bhasker they wrote the lyrics. Initially, Johnson offered a guitar riff inspired by “Nothing Else Matters” from Metallica. As for Cam, she came up with “two off-the-cuff opening lines.” Finally, Johnson and Cam’s guitarist Doug Showalter played the instruments together with some other musical accompaniments such as a piano, muted bass, and a small string section arranged by Hamilton Ulmer.
For the record…
These days, it’s tougher for lady singers to get their songs on the radio. This is particularly caused by the mainstream industry’s obsession with the bro-country movement. But Cam proves that her songs stand out still, along with other popular singles.
“Burning House” placed at number 2 on both the Billboard Country Airplay and Hot Country Songs. Also, it garnered a spot on the Hot 100 at number 29. The song was nominated for Best Country Solo Performance at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards.
With its promising selling records, Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) awarded it with a Platinum certificate and another Gold certificate from Music Canada.
Music enthusiasts can’t help but appreciate the single from the rising country star. Billy Dukes of Taste of Country commended the musical arrangement and the voice behind the song. He described Cam’s performance as “stark and personal.” He also added that the concept is “nothing unoriginal.” The story, video, and the overall idea is different from other released singles. Billboard says Cam was able to pack frustration, despair, anguish, and torment all together in a song.
Trey Fanjoy creatively directed the must-watch music video below. Enjoy watching!
burning house, cam
- The Song That Launched Tom T. Hall as The Storyteller That He Is: “A Week In A Country Jail”
- How Lynn Anderson Turned “Rose Garden” Into A Big Hit Worldwide
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Here’s How The Chart-Topper “Don’t Let Me Cross Over” Became A Country Music Standard
- You’ll Definitely Relate to Ronnie Milsap’s “What A Difference You’ve Made In My Life”
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend