When you hear the song “Fancy” playing, you’ll instantly think of Reba McEntire. Well, you’re not wrong because McEntire did record the song in 1990. But, did you know who was the first artist to record the song?
The Original Version, Bobbie Gentry
In 1969, country singer Bobbie Gentry penned the song “Fancy.” In addition, she recorded the song in the same year as a single and added it soon on her 1970 album Fancy. Gentry’s rendition was released as a single and has scored a spot on the country chart. “Fancy” by Gentry placed at number twenty-six on the Billboard Hot Country chart and number eight on the Adult Contemporary chart. Furthermore, Gentry’s version also scored a position on the Hot 100 chart.
Like her famous and signature song “Ode to Billy Joe”, “Fancy” was first written by Gentry as a short story. Eventually, she turned this incredible and moving short story of hers into a song.
On one of her interview, Gentry said that her song serves as a voice to the liberation and rights of women.
“”Fancy” is my strongest statement for women’s lib, if you really listen to it. I agree wholeheartedly with that movement and all the serious issues that they stand for–equality, equal pay, day care centers, and abortion rights.”
Reba McEntire’s Version
However, even if Gentry was the first to record the song, it was McEntire who made it popular. McEntire recorded “Fancy” in 1990 for her album Rumor Has It. She released the song as a single in 1991, and her version surpassed Gentry’s. “Fancy” by Reba placed at number eight on the Billboard Hot Country chart.
The Music Video
Reba accompanied the song with a music video. She played the main character in the song, Fancy. In the video, Reba returned to the place where she grew up in and flashes of the past began to appear.
Watch the music video here.
Bobbie Gentry, Reba McEntire
- Sons of Willie Nelson Joined Him For An Incredible Rendition of “Move it on Over”
- Rip Wheeler and Beth Dutton Complete Relationship Timeline
- Get To Know Kelly Reilly, The Actress Behind Yellowstone’s Fearless Beth Dutton
- Tim McGraw & Faith Hill’s Daughter Audrey Shows Off Snippet From Recent Photoshoot
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Clint Black’s Daughter, Lily Made a Classy Opry Debut