Blue Moon of Kentucky –was an original and a best-selling record of Bill Monroe and his Blue Grass Boys back in 1946. In 1989, it was appointed as Kentucky’s official state song in honor of Monroe being a native of Rosine, Kentucky and as the Father of Bluegrass music.
The song basically talks of a heartbreak when a lover leaves yet wishing him or her the best.
Over the years, several artists from various genres added their own spin including Elvis Presley in 1954 and Patsy Cline in 1963. It was one of young Elvis’ first songs for his first successful recording. However, Elvis and his band transitioned Monroe’s slow waltz into an upbeat tempo. That was the beginning of Elvis’ trademark of rockabilly songs containing heartbreaking lyrics. As for Patsy Cline, her recording was on the same year of her tragic death. Her countrified version may not have reached the charts, yet it was loved by millions of her fans.
For seven decades, Blue Moon had 111 adaptations. Besides Presley’s, Ricky Skaggs’ own touch is something to love, too. Some of the lesser known variants were made by Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Mel Torme, Vaughn Monroe, Dean Martin, Frankie Laine, Tony Bennett, Ella Fitzgerald, Louis Armstrong, and Dizzy Gillespie.
If that does not make it classic, I don’t know what is. Anybody would love to sing it including the Beatles. (Check their jam here- )
To date, Blue Moon Kentucky remains a mainstay and an instant favorite by the old and young. Most popular were made by child wonder Carson Peters and of course, our very own Country Daily superstar, Sylvia Jeanine. Watch their renditions below and become a fan, too.
With Grandma Sylvia’s upbeat singing, you won’t be blue anymore. As always Gran Sylvia, you never leave your admirers disappointed! It’s an honor to have you in the Country Daily family.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Morgan Wallen Made History, Surpassing Garth Brooks, Billy Ray Cyrus, and More
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- 15 Top Kenny Chesney Songs Over 25 Years of Country Music
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross