‘Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain’ by Willie Nelson sings about parting lovers, only to reminisce and regret about leaving your lover behind.
There are moments in life where you question yourself if the sacrifices you intend to make are worth the cost. And most of the time, it is often your own happiness and love that is bartered for something that may not even be worthwhile. The regret that is felt here is certainly established in the song ‘Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain.’
Check out the lyrics below:
In the twilight glow I see them
Blue eyes cryin’ in the rain
When we kissed goodbye and parted
I knew we’d never meet againLove is like a dyin’ ember
Only memories remain
Through the ages I’ll remember
Blue eyes cryin’ in the rain[…]Now my hair has turned to silver
All my life I’ve loved in vain
I can see her star in heaven
Blue eyes crying in the rain
The song is originally written by songwriter Fred Rose. It was originally performed by Roy Acuff and has been covered by many artists, such as Hank Williams Sr., Ferlin Husky, Conway Twitty, Elvis Presley, and Charley Pride.
‘Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain’ hit mainstream success when Willie Nelson recorded it as part of his 1975 album ‘Red Headed Stranger.’ As a result, both the song and the album would become iconic in country music history. And, it would jump-start Nelson’s success both as a singer and as a recording artist.
Willie’s ‘Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain’
The version by Nelson was recorded for his concept album ‘Red Headed Stranger,‘ which was about a fugitive preacher on the run from the law after killing his wife.
Bill Malone, a country music historian called the concept album as:
“a fine example of clean, uncluttered country music, [with] a spare arrangement that could have come straight out of the 1940s.”
There is a music video that was produced in 1986 to promote the motion picture adaptation of the album.
Watch the music video here!
Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain, Classic, Country Classic, Willie Nelson
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Willie Nelson and His Son Put A Country Twist to Pearl Jam’s “Just Breathe”
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet Dolly Parton’s Parents, Their Influences and Humble Beginnings
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Willie Nelson’s Children Including His Daughter He Only Found Out In 2012
- Jason Colacino and Katie Boyle In Their Remarkable Performance