The Harper Valley Smash Hit
Fans of the “Harper Valley P.T.A” singer would describe Jeannie C. Riley as someone who is ahead of her time – a trailblazing woman in the country music scene that was dominated by men. She is characterized by her distinctive voice and her reputation as a sex symbol in the early 1950’s.
Her singing career started with the song “Harper Valley P.T.A.,” and the record became one of the best-known country music songs of all time. It was because of this song that Riley became the very first female artist who topped both the Pop and the Country charts at the same time.
Watch the amazing live performance here!
She earned a Grammy Award for Best Female Country Vocal Performance and the Country Music Association Single of the Year award. The song itself was such a smash hit that its success branched to the big screens with a motion picture in 1978, and a television spin-off in 1981.
Riley was considered the most popular among the female vocalists in country music during the 1960’s and the 1970’s. She continued to rake up awards and nominations throughout her career. And by the 1970’s, she became a born-again Christian. This move prompted her to shift her career towards recording more gospel.
Watch her beautiful rendition of Amazing Grace here!
There had been several ups and downs in her public and private life, but today we celebrate and cherish this absolute darling in country music. To Jeannie C. Riley, Happy Birthday to you!
Comment down below your well-wishes to her too! Do you want to see more country classics? Visit us at Country Thang Daily for more!
birthday, Country, Country Classic, Harper Valley P.T.A., Jeannie C Riley
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- Yoakam Joins Stapleton on Stage for “Seven Spanish Angels”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- Brandi Carlile and wife Catherine Shepherd’s Sweet Love Story
- Top 100 Country Songs Chart 2021
- Paula Nelson Joins her Father for an Amazing Rendition of “Have You Ever Seen the Rain”