The “King of Rock and Roll” sure knows how to use his platform well. At the height of his success, he made a reputation of incorporating gospel songs in his concerts. It is like saying he does not want to drink in all the glory of his success and fame. He wants to share the stage with the One who brought him there. This, despite pushbacks from his recording company.
A lot of conservatives would disagree, of course. They disapprove of Presley’s elaborate musical concept, from his clothing to his dance moves. Nevertheless, Presley’s delivery of gospel had received a warm reception from his fans. Critics’ comments could not dissuade him. His gospel beginnings went as far back to his childhood. His mother loves Gospel music and the family attended the First Assembly of God church. He went on recording three gospel albums and won Grammy for them.
After his death, he was inducted into the Gospel Music Association’s hall of fame.
Aside from Martha Carson, he also inspiration from the gospel renditions of “The Blackwood Brothers,” “The Harmonizing Four,”” The Statesmen Quartet,”” The Jordanaires,” and the “Golden Gate Quartet.”
There were more stellar singing from Elvis, but here are two of our favorites.
“Peace in the Valley” on the Ed Sullivan Show
Presley sang this on his third appearance on the TV show. Here, he was backed by The Jordanaires. The producers did not want him to be singing gospel, but Ed Sullivan supported him. He did this for his mother Gladys, and for the cause of Hungarian refugee relief.
“Sing You Children Sing’ by Elvis Presley
A recounting of three Old Testament heroes namely Jonah, Moses, and Joshua. All of them faced incomparable feats of challenges in their services for the Lord. In the end, they became victors! Hence, the perky mood for this happy song.
- Sons of Willie Nelson Joined Him For An Incredible Rendition of “Move it on Over”
- Rip Wheeler and Beth Dutton Complete Relationship Timeline
- Clint Black’s Daughter, Lily Made a Classy Opry Debut
- Get To Know Kelly Reilly, The Actress Behind Yellowstone’s Fearless Beth Dutton
- Tim McGraw & Faith Hill’s Daughter Audrey Shows Off Snippet From Recent Photoshoot
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music