Composers Hal David and Archie Jordan penned the lyrics of “It Was Almost Like a Song”. The voice behind the track is American country music singer Ronnie Milsap. Released in May 1977, it was the first single and title track from the album It Was Almost Like a Song. Upon its release, it gave Milsap the greatest hit of his recording career. In addition, many considered it as one of his signature songs together with “Pure Love”.
In July 1977, Ronnie charted his eighth chart-topper on the Billboard magazine Hot Country Songs chart with “It Was Almost Like a Song”. Adding to its fame, it became his first Billboard Hot 100 chart entry that peaked at #16. Also on Billboard’s Hot Adult Contemporary Singles chart, it occupied the 7th spot.
“It Was Almost Like a Song”, his famed track, gave him an idea for the title of his biography. Co-writing it with Tom Carter, Milsap’s biography was entitled Almost Like a Song.
The Song Writers’ Background
Over the past 50 years, several names in country music writing have emerged. Two of the greatest are Hal David and Archie Jordan. Hal David is a lyricist who worked so legendarily with Burt Bacharach on so many classics. Among these are: “Raindrops Keep Fallin’ On My Head”, “This Guy’s In Love With You”, “Do You Know The Way To San Jose” and dozens more. If you remember the great hits by Dionne Warwick, you know its the magical words of Hal David.
A songwriting legend in his own right is Archie Jordon. He co-wrote the Ronnie Milsap’s great classic “Let’s Take the Long Way Around the World”. Another one is Milsap’s smash hit “What A Difference You’ve Made In My Life”. Last but not the least is Sylvia’s great classic “Drifter”. If you heard that, Archie co-wrote that one, too along with many others.
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Shania Twain and Husband Frédéric Thiébaud: The Story of Healing and Love
- Meet the four-time divorcee, Sam Elliott’s Wife, Katharine Ross
- Daughter Of Singer Hank Williams Jr. Dies At Age 27 In A Car Crash
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- A Look Back at Anne Murray, Her Agonizing Struggle with Drugs and Divorce
- Meet Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell’s Kids Inside Their Blended Family