According to Ranker (a website known for ranking anything), “Amarillo by Morning” is voted as the best 1980’s country song. The 1980s is considered as the start of the rise of the king of country music, George Strait.
In this list, we will see why people up to this day love the song “Amarillo by Morning” and why it is one of the greatest hits of the singer.
“Amarillo by Morning,” The ’80s Hit
The song is all about the life of cowboys. It is heartbreaking because it narrates how a rodeo cowboy lost a wife and a girlfriend throughout his journey. Two elements of country music are found in the song: cowboys and a heartbreaking story. The song also helped propel the career of the young George Strait.
This may have been George’s breakout song, but it did not reach the top of the charts. It only landed at number 4 unlike some of his hits that reached the number 1 spot. Interestingly, the song also made it to CMT’s Greatest Country Songs of All Time, landing at number 12.
Other 1980’s Hits
Let’s take the ranking more as a popularity contest. People voted for what they think is the best country song but it does not necessarily mean that the list is the right one. Here are other songs that made it to the top 10:
Listen to the “Amarillo by Morning” here:
Amarillo by Morning, Best Country Song, George Strait
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Remembering the Creepy Death of Johnny Horton 59 Years Ago
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Let’s Take a Look Back to Kenny Chesney’s Intriguing Dating Life
- What Happened To John Wayne’s Children?