“Always On My Mind” has been recorded by different artists from different genres numerous times . It was written by Johnny Christopher, Mark James, and Wayne Carson in 1969. The first recording of the song was by B.J. Thomas. Since then, artists such as Brenda Lee, Elvis Presley, Willie Nelson, and more released their recording of the song.
The Song’s Content
This timeless love song tells the story of a man who felt guilty of not making his lover feel important to him. He knows that he loves her, but he’s just afraid that she might feel second best. Therefore, he made it clear that even though he doesn’t express much, she is always on his mind.
Little things I should have said and done
I just never took the time
You were always on my mind
Willie Nelson’s Version
One of the notable country versions of the song was by Willie Nelson. He recorded it in 1982, and it reached the top of the country chart. His version also made him brought home three awards from the Grammys. The songwriters were able to win the Song of the Year and Best Country Song. Meanwhile, Willie Nelson won the Best Male Country Vocal Performance.
Elvis Presley’s Cover
Another version that stood out was by Elvis Presley. He recorded the song before Nelson. Presley’s single was released in 1972, and as the A-side to Separate Ways. His version entered not only the US chart but other charts outside of the US. “Always on My Mind” reached number twenty on the Hot 100 chart and number sixteen on the country chart. Furthermore, the song secured a spot on the Adult Contemporary chart at number three. Presley’s version was certified silver by a recording industry in the UK.
A month before Presley recorded the song, he and his wife Priscilla separated.
Here’s the lovely version of “Always on My Mind” by Elvis Presley.
Always On My Mind, Elvis Presley, Willie Nelson
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait
- Is the Relationship of Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Heading to a Hefty Divorce?