“Act Naturally” is a song that Johnny Russell and Voni Morrison penned. Originally, Buck Owens and the Buckaroos made the cover. Owen’s and the Buckaroos’ version became a chart topper on the Billboard Country Singles chart in 1963. This was Buck’s very first hit.
In 1989, the two most famous singers—Owens and Starr— teamed up for a brand-new version of “Act Naturally”. On March 27, Jerry Crutchfield and Jim Shaw produced the session for the new recording. In addition, the two geniuses created a lighthearted music video for it between the 23rd and 29th of June. With them were playing bumbling versions of themselves as cowboys in the west being filmed. Under the direction of George Bloom and production of Ken Brown, the video came to life. Released under Capitol Records on July 29, 1989, the duet peaked at spot 27. Moreover, it stayed 11 weeks on the Billboard country chart in the summer of 1989. The B-side to this track was Owens version of “The Key’s in the Mailbox” by Harlan Howard.
“Act Naturally”: Its Covers and Story
“Act Naturally” became a nominee for the 1989 Country Music Association Vocal Event of the Year and 1990 Grammy for Best Country Vocal Collaboration. Sadly, it lost both awards to “There’s a Tear in My Beer”, recorded by Hank Williams Sr. and Hank Williams Jr.
The song tells the tale of someone who has ended a relationship. Because of that, someone can play the part of a film where someone is sad and lonely without knowing anything about acting.
Apart from the men mentioned, many other artists including Loretta Lynn, Dwight Yoakam, Mrs. Miller, and Kidsongs have made their own covers. The other most well-known version is the Beatles’ in 1965. Featuring Ringo Starr taking the lead vocal, it became a featured performance number of his in concert. Both covers were with the Beatles and later with Ringo Starr & His All-Starr Band.
buck owens, Ringo Starr
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Is the Relationship of Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Heading to a Hefty Divorce?
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Five Husbands Later, Lorrie Morgan Finally Found The Love Of Her Life