This is a fitting song for Emmylou as she was a mom herself. She is known to occasionally sing it during her live performances.
Stellar singing in acapella Miss Emmylou Harris! Even without music accompaniment, you’re able to deliver the song beautifully. Now that’s a legit singer. You shine both with your talent and the heart you give to your pieces. You are one of the reasons country music is now appreciated.
As the title suggests, it’s a mother’s song beckoning her children to come home. She reminisces about their younger days where she gets to be part of their lives. Now that they’re gone and afar, she longs to see them again. Though sang from a mother’s perspective, it expresses the sentiments of parents missing their children.
It just goes to say that parenting never stops once children become adults. This is most evident in the following lyrics.
I gave my all for my dear children,
Their problems still with love I share,
I’d brave life’s storm, defy the tempest
To bring them home from anywhere.
For Emmylou, this song could be her testament of love to her children. To us, it’s another favorite to be added to our lists of songs carrying the theme of parental love. If you’re a parent at present with absentee children, it probably won’t be a good idea to listen to the song. You’ll just miss your kids more.
BITS ABOUT THE SONG
Written by Charles Waller, Doyle Lawson, Robert Yates, and was first released by Country Gentlemen, a 0020blue-grass gospel group known in 1978. It was recorded and released in 1987 for the first Trio LP; Emmylou’s collaborative singing with Dolly Parton and Linda Rondstadt. Their album which included “Calling All My Children Home” has sold millions.
Other recordings of this song were made by Ralph Stanley and The Chanticleer (2002).
- Surviving Racism, Infidelity: Meet Vivian Liberto Cash
- Who Are Johnny Cash’s Children and Where Are They Now?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Is the Relationship of Tim McGraw and Faith Hill Heading to a Hefty Divorce?
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- What Happened To George Strait’s Daughter Jennifer Strait