This is a fitting song for Emmylou as she was a mom herself. She is known to occasionally sing it during her live performances.
Stellar singing in acapella Miss Emmylou Harris! Even without music accompaniment, you’re able to deliver the song beautifully. Now that’s a legit singer. You shine both with your talent and the heart you give to your pieces. You are one of the reasons country music is now appreciated.
As the title suggests, it’s a mother’s song beckoning her children to come home. She reminisces about their younger days where she gets to be part of their lives. Now that they’re gone and afar, she longs to see them again. Though sang from a mother’s perspective, it expresses the sentiments of parents missing their children.
It just goes to say that parenting never stops once children become adults. This is most evident in the following lyrics.
I gave my all for my dear children,
Their problems still with love I share,
I’d brave life’s storm, defy the tempest
To bring them home from anywhere.
For Emmylou, this song could be her testament of love to her children. To us, it’s another favorite to be added to our lists of songs carrying the theme of parental love. If you’re a parent at present with absentee children, it probably won’t be a good idea to listen to the song. You’ll just miss your kids more.
BITS ABOUT THE SONG
Written by Charles Waller, Doyle Lawson, Robert Yates, and was first released by Country Gentlemen, a 0020blue-grass gospel group known in 1978. It was recorded and released in 1987 for the first Trio LP; Emmylou’s collaborative singing with Dolly Parton and Linda Rondstadt. Their album which included “Calling All My Children Home” has sold millions.
Other recordings of this song were made by Ralph Stanley and The Chanticleer (2002).
- Sons of Willie Nelson Joined Him For An Incredible Rendition of “Move it on Over”
- Rip Wheeler and Beth Dutton Complete Relationship Timeline
- Meet Dolly Parton Siblings Inside Their Big Family Filled With Passion For Music
- The ‘Duck Dynasty’ stars: Where is the Robertson Family now?
- Tim McGraw & Faith Hill’s Daughter Audrey Shows Off Snippet From Recent Photoshoot
- Get To Know Kelly Reilly, The Actress Behind Yellowstone’s Fearless Beth Dutton
- The Yellowstone Soundtrack: The Complete List