From the smooth fiddle tunes of the 40’s, let us fast forward to the cool play of vocals of the 80’s.
Featured today was a Grammy-nominated and a chart-topper of the Tulsa singer, Mel McDaniel who also bagged the Best Country Vocal Performance award.
Recorded and released in 1984, Baby’s Got Her Blue Jeans On gradually and steadily climbed to the peak of the chart. According to McDaniel, it is the song that any average American could comment, “I can picture that in my mind.”
Prior to the success of the song, the opportunity was first given to Conway Twitty and John Anderson who both passed it up. This Bob McDill’s composition then became a Mel McDaniel hit through the course of many years despite other versions like that of Sammy Kershaw.
BITS ABOUT MEL MCDANIEL
What sets apart McDaniel from the other singers was that he would often sing lively and fun tracks. Tear-jerking songs (if there is any you remember) which are common in country music were kept to a minimum. Hence, listeners find his music very inviting and entertaining. That element resulted to more good selling records like “Louisiana Saturday Night” (1981), “Big Ole Brew” (1982), “Stand Up”(1993), “I Call It Love” (1983), “Stand on It”(1987) and a cover of Chuck Berry’s “Let It Roll (Let It Rock)”.
Before striking gold in Nashville, he was a veteran club performer in Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Kansas. He even moved to Alaska where he gained more songwriting and performing skills. Back to Nashville, he signed up with Capitol and enjoyed about 40 Billboard country chart entries until 1989. In 1986, he was inducted into the Grand Ole Opry. He also went on tours with 200 dates average in a year with his band called Oklahoma Wind for the rest of the 1990’s. In 2011, he passed away at age 68.
- Where is Jason Aldean’s First Wife, Jessica Ussery Now?
- Crystal Gayle Sings About Love And Heartbreak in “Til I Gain Control Again”
- What Happened to Randy Travis After Massive Stroke and Dire Financial Situation?
- Narvel Blackstock’s New Girlfriend Is His Ex-Wife’s Close Friend
- The Dance That Stunned Country Music Obsessives, But Who Are They?
- Get to Know Hannah Dasher, An Uprising Country Rock Star
- Get Mushy With These 15 Country Songs For Your Boyfriend